Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Point/Pointlessness of Life

The other day I went out to dinner with a friend, that I hadn't seen in awhile, and we got talking about life. He was telling me how God was working in his life and how he was really beginning to have a closer walk with God. This was really cool to hear as I have been praying for him and encouraging him. Once we got to talking about life we got to discussing the point or meaning of our lives. What do we want to be known for? Where do we see our lives going in the future? This discussion caused me to really ponder the meaning of life. I have people that come in the store all the time that make comments like "another day another dollar", "I can't complain because nobody would listen", "I'm just living", etc... I realize that these are just pat responses but many times it seems that they truly believe them. In my mind "life" should be so much more than that. As Christians we are to live for Christ as it says in 2 Corinthians 5:15. We are to strive to follow Christ and to become more like Him everyday out of the joy that we have for what He did for us. I see many people in life striving for the next raise/promotion, the bigger house, better car, and not looking to what truly matters in life. In America we are working more and more hours for that elusive dream that we never quite reach. I think that many people are just trying to fill the void that is created when not living for Christ. As my friend and I were discussing this we were thinking about what was important in our lives. We both have decent "careers" but to us that isn't that important. I find that I am more concerned about living my life as an example of what Christ has done in me. We as Christians have all heard the Great Comission and to me I believe that it applies to all of us no matter where we are. We might not be out on some faraway mission field working with natives but we are in our homes, jobs, churches, neighborhoods, schools... If we don't reach out in those areas who will. The guy who lives next door? That other student who seems more put together? The coworker who is always working? I want my life to be remembered for how I cared for others and how I allowed Christ to work through me for His purposes. I don't want to be known as oh he was good at business had a nice house and drove a nice car. I want what I do to have eternal signifigance rather than fleeting enjoyment. How do you want your life to be remembered???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

posting...it's been a while...???

Jill :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving me pause to think and reflect on what my life is about, Andrew.

I want my life to be remembered as a demonstration of God's life lived as fully as possible through me. I want people to see in me God's grace in every obstacle, His love every time it looks impossible to appropriate, His provision when all I could do wouldn't be enough, His wisdom and understanding when my rationality wouldn't cut it--in short, I want people looking at me to have to examine the idea that God is real, because they couldn't see any other reason for the things that happen in and through my life.--Then I want my life to give others hope that God is real and what He's done for and in me He can do for them.

Anonymous said...

It is an illogical belief system to suggest that God could have created a world such as this. Consider the unseen blood and suffering dripping from the hands of every motorist who buys oil, fuel and even his car. Those commodities my God fearing friends come from nations where corporations push people aside, pollute them, drive them off into city slums, and then take the oil, and destroy their environment. So why would a Perfect Good force be the creator of such destruction. Surely all Christian hypocrites who drive cars and wear titanium oxide shirts, and own anything that's got metal or plastic in it, is doomed to everlasting hell. Even under man's law, ignorance is no defence. Your meanings of life are pure hypocrisy. If God is real, well, you, the rich westerners are doomed to have dinner with the devil. Now I look on it differently. Life here has come about by chance. If God exists, then he is from our forces of mind, a desire to live beyond the grave. May be a reality. May be falsehood. I don't think there is a devil. Nothing totally evil could survive death as it would logically destroy itself. And the probabilities against God existing at all, are very high. But I have seen things that make me feel HE is around, and you all are doomed to non-existence, having failed to shed your material wealth. (Sell all you have and follow me.) Each time you get in your car, turn on your plastic loaded with toxins TV, and everything else in your life, remember, all of it came at the expense of people far away. Your DEMAND created that suffering. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR UNSEEN, unTOLD death AND POLLUTION, GLOBALLY. THAT IS WHAT THE FUTURE WILL SEE ALL OF US AS.